LAS VEGAS — A Dixie State University (DSU) student and Salt Lake City native has died following a car accident in Las Vegas.
Samuela Tupola, 23, a student majoring in communication studies at Dixie State University, was one of five people involved in the accident.
Dixie student killed in accident
The accident occurred around 4 a.m. Saturday morning. Tupola, along with his four cousins, was traveling northbound near the Las Vegas Speedway, back to Utah, when a white sedan traveling south in the northbound lane crashed into their vehicle, according to Nevada Highway Patrol (NHP).
#TrafficAlert Wrong way crash involving multiple vehicles. I15 NB at Speedway. NB I15 closed at the northern beltway. #WrongWay #BuckleUp #DriveSafeNV #LivesAreOnTheLine #NHPSoComm pic.twitter.com/Gzear7WPSo
— NHP Southern Command (@NHPSouthernComm) March 13, 2021
The accident involved at least three vehicles. NHP says a semi-truck heading north attempted to brake but ended up nicking Tupola’s car.
The conditions of the other four passengers are unknown at this time. The family of Tupola has set up a GoFund Me page to help cover funeral and medical expenses.
Today’s Top Stories
- ‘I just wanted to be better’: Utah woman details experience with heroin addiction
- How someone’s pet goldfish destroyed an entire ecosystem at Maple Lake
- What happened? Anatomy of a violent NASCAR crash
- What to do if you encounter a dangerous animal in the wild
- The original Gerber Baby just turned 93
- Home prices increase in Salt Lake City during the pandemic
- The Oquirrh Mountain Utah Temple will remain closed
- Report: many new moms stop breastfeeding too soon
- Opinion: Mexico needs our help to avoid becoming “failed state”
- Salt Lake police investigating after Zoom class is hacked, displays pornographic images