LAS VEGAS — A Dixie State University (DSU) student and Salt Lake City native has died following a car accident in Las Vegas.
Samuela Tupola, 23, a student majoring in communication studies at Dixie State University, was one of five people involved in the accident.
Dixie student killed in accident
The accident occurred around 4 a.m. Saturday morning. Tupola, along with his four cousins, was traveling northbound near the Las Vegas Speedway, back to Utah, when a white sedan traveling south in the northbound lane crashed into their vehicle, according to Nevada Highway Patrol (NHP).
#TrafficAlert Wrong way crash involving multiple vehicles. I15 NB at Speedway. NB I15 closed at the northern beltway. #WrongWay #BuckleUp #DriveSafeNV #LivesAreOnTheLine #NHPSoComm pic.twitter.com/Gzear7WPSo
— NHP Southern Command (@NHPSouthernComm) March 13, 2021
The accident involved at least three vehicles. NHP says a semi-truck heading north attempted to brake but ended up nicking Tupola’s car.
The conditions of the other four passengers are unknown at this time. The family of Tupola has set up a GoFund Me page to help cover funeral and medical expenses.
Today’s Top Stories
- 6.4-magnitude quake rattles Nevada
- Friends mourn Utah veterinarian shot in New Mexico
- Is the kissing bug a threat in Utah?
- Toxic algal bloom spotted on Utah Lake, a first for 2019
- Hurricane State Liquor Store closes, employee tests positive for COVID-19
- UDOT: Expect delays I-15 NB in Salt Lake City on Sunday
- Man arrested in connection with body found in Ogden
- Loving Little Cottonwood Canyon to death: is a gondola the answer?
- Officer Zachary Nold, Ogden City Police Department
- UTA offering free fare to COVID-19 vaccination appointments