SALT LAKE CITY — The team behind “COLD: Susan Powell Case Files,” a hit podcast hosted by investigative reporter Dave Cawley, announced Wednesday its topic for season 2: the murder of Joyce Yost, whose body remains missing.
KSL Podcasts released a special season preview for season two of COLD ahead of the first episode, which will be available April 7, 2021, on Amazon Music.
“Listeners may have heard of Joyce Yost’s story, but the decades-long search for justice after her life was horrifically stolen is one that they will never be able to forget,” said Sheryl Worsley, director of Podcasting for KSL.
Justice for Joyce
In April 1985, headed home after a dinner date, a man kidnapped and raped Yost, then threatened to kill her if she told anyone what happened. In defiance of that threat, she called 911.
Police ultimately caught up with the man responsible, but too late to provide justice for Yost. She was murdered, her body never found, even though Doug Lovell eventually confessed to the crime and awaits a death sentence.
In a twist, Lovell continues to fight his conviction in spite of that confession. Now 63, Lovell tried to argue his attorney did not properly prepare witnesses, among other things. A judge in Ogden denied that argument, based on Lovell’s second conviction, earlier this year.
Giving victims a voice
Dave Cawley investigated the case for the COLD podcast.
“The Joyce Yost case was the last successful no-body homicide prosecution in Utah prior to the disappearance of Susan Powell,” Cawley said. “Joyce Yost had her voice stolen from her. COLD aims to give Joyce her voice back, just as it did for Susan Powell in season one.”
Both seasons of COLD will stream free on Amazon Music after the season two premiere, April 7. Listeners can follow along at amazon.com/coldpodcast and via the Amazon Music mobile app. You can also ask Alexa to “Play the COLD Podcast” on your Echo device.
I have an idea for a future in-depth report. How do I tell you about it?
Today’s Top Stories
- AP Question and Answer: Does wearing a mask pose any health risks?
- ‘La Llorona’ movie promotion with Mexican healers draws fire
- Utah mother tells her story of coping after losing a daughter to a fentanyl overdose
- Conservationists dealing with the spread of graffiti in Cottonwood canyons
- David Archuleta comes out as a member of the LGBTQIA+ community
- Vickie Dean – Copper Hills Elementary
- Family responds after DA ruled against charges in police shooting
- Church pulls senior missionaries from Europe
- Lori Vallow Daybell to face murder conspiracy charge in death of husband
- Law Enforcement Appreciation Month