Donovan Mitchell will play for Game 2 against Memphis Grizzlies
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah Jazz star Donovan Mitchell is set to play in Wednesday’s game two in the NBA Playoffs against the Memphis Grizzlies at Vivint Arena. But Monday he addressed his frustration over being sat for Sunday’s game one.
“I was definitely frustrated and upset that I wasn’t able to play. I’m a competitor. I felt I was ready to go.” Mitchell said to reporters Monday.
Mitchell frustrated over benching before Grizzlies matchup
The Jazz training staff made the call to scratch Mitchell just before Sunday’s game one.
“I didn’t expect it, but I’m not a doctor,” he said.
He says he was told about the decision just before the game, and it wasn’t because of one glaring issue with his right ankle.
“Nothing that looked alarming, I will say that. I’m not dragging my right foot along. But no, it was just a bunch of different things [and] they didn’t feel like I was ready,” he said.
But he said part of his frustration was because he felt like he let down his teammates.
“It was unfair to, you know, my team, I was like man I feel like I let them down in a sense. You know, when you’re not there for them in a playoff game. That probably hurts me more than anything else.”
Read more: Mitchell unhappy with game one scratch
Game two is on Wednesday night in Salt Lake City. It will mark the first time in over a month that Mitchell will suit up for the Jazz after missing the last 17 games with a severe ankle sprain.
- Mitchell becomes 4th Jazz player in history to score 35+ in consecutive games
- Utah lawmakers introduce resolution recognizing Donovan Mitchell
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah is the 10th most active state in the country, according to study
- Navajo leaders quarantine as Native nation prepares for curfew
- How to care for Canterbury Bells | KSL Greenhouse
- Fed begins inflation fight with key rate hike, more to come
- VIP Special Needs Sports League
- S.L. County D.A. joins national call for (better) justice for all
- Uncle of missing five-year-old in Logan charged with murder, remains found
- Salt Lake ranks fourth nationally for pickleball but what is it?
- Utah a good home for autonomous drone development, military one reason
- Marathon runner to set record in the name of dyslexia: 26 miles in costume