TAYLORSVILLE, Utah — It started as a report of a stolen vehicle in Murray and an attempt to locate was issued late last night.
Around midnight, a Taylorsville officer spotted the stolen vehicle and attempted to pull it over on 1300 West near 6900 South. That’s when the suspect rammed the police car and took off.
Taylorsville Police Chief Brady Cottam said the suspect fled north on 1300 West but didn’t get very far. “Responding officers looking for the car noticed it here at this residence here on the corner where the suspect vehicle had crashed into the home,” he said. The crash was just a few blocks away from where the police car was rammed.
“One female passenger was located in the passenger seat and the driver fled on foot,” said Chief Cottam.
She was taken to the hospital with a broken arm and possible internal bleeding. But Cottam stated the passenger was not very cooperative with officers trying to get her out of the car.
Meanwhile, the homeowners whose house was damaged were asked to spend the night somewhere else for safety reasons. Cottam said fire personnel were concerned about the structure and are asking engineers to examine the house on Wednesday morning. Water, power and gas lines leading to the home were all shut off.
Cottam said the suspect is still on the loose. They don’t know if he is armed at this time. He said once the female passenger is stable, she will be questioned and they still need to investigate the stolen car to try and find clues there.
Today’s Top Stories
- Would a border wall stop Utah’s gang problem?
- Australian woman arrested for inciting anti-lockdown protests
- Salt Lake County assesses windstorm damage, opens warming centers
- Holladay Arts Council
- New “return to work” initiative for Utahns who lost jobs due to COVID-19 pandemic
- Huge haul of treasure stolen in German castle vault heist
- Utah Governor releases “Healthy Together” app to track spread of COVID-19
- Predawn fire guts old church housing New York’s Liberty Bell
- Santa, reindeer granted permit to enter US on Christmas Eve
- Police say drug ring run by teen had ties to many Utah schools