SLCPD make third arrest in connection to fatal weekend shooting
SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake City Police announced Tuesday a third arrest in connection to Saturday’s shooting near the Salt Palace Convention Center that claimed the life of 41-year-old Deliford Knight.
Police say 18-year-old Nogolweit “Nunu” Kug was taken into custody Tuesday afternoon after he came to the Public Safety Building in downtown to turn himself in.
Third shooting arrest
According to a news release, Kug will be booked into the Salt Lake County Jail. He will be booked on suspicion of one count of murder and suspicion of one count of robbery.
Police say it is alleged Kug is the individual who fired the weapon during the incident.
“Our homicide detectives have dedicated more than 100 hours to this case,” said Salt Lake City Police Chief Mike Brown said in a news release. “Although we have made these three key arrests, our investigation is still very much ongoing. Because of the commitment of our homicide detectives, patrol officers and specialty units, we now have a better understanding of what unfolded on Saturday afternoon. I want to reassure everyone who lives in, works in and visit Salt Lake City that our police department is unwavering in our mission to help keep our community safe.”
As part of the investigation, police have previously taken two other individuals into custody.
Joshua Riak, 21, and Deng Buk, 22, were both arrested by police for their alleged roles in the shooting.
Police say Knight and his friends traveled to Salt Lake City from Florida to attend a sneaker convention. According to police, Knight and his friends have traveled to similar conventions in other states. At these conventions, police say Knight and his friends have taken part in betting matches. The purpose of these betting matches is to defraud other individuals out of money.
Police say one of the suspects allegedly lost money to Knight and became angry. That led to the incident outside the Salt Palace.
- Second suspect arrested in Salt Palace murder
- SLCPD identify suspect and victim in Saturday shooting
Today’s Top Stories
- Uncle of missing five-year-old in Logan charged with murder, remains found
- Opinion: Feed Utah food drive demonstrates what Utah does best
- Utah is the 10th most active state in the country, according to study
- Two people die in single rollover crash on Skull Valley Road in Tooele
- Utah roads rated fifth best in the nation by new report
- Another COVID-19 case count record set in Utah: 12,990 in a single day
- Church president, NAACP call for “racial harmony” in joint op-ed
- Robert Nelson – West Point Junior High
- KSL 5 is back on DirecTV
- Parents mad, Davis School District investigating after student shows up to school dressed as Hitler