More pickleball courts (and more players) coming to South Jordan
SOUTH JORDAN, Utah — Life Time athletic club is opening six dedicated pickleball courts at their South Jordan location.
Pickleball is on the rise in South Jordan, Utah, and across the country. According to the Sports & Fitness Industry Association, about 5 million Americans play pickleball. That’s nearly double the number of pickleball players in the sport in 2017.
To account for this growing demand, courts have been opening throughout the Salt Lake Valley. There are 178 pickleball courts in Utah and counting. According to a press release, the South Jordan Life Time club has seen a more than 300% increase in pickleball participants over the past nine months nationwide.
Pickleball is a sport that can be picked up by anybody. It can be played at a casual, slower pace. Or, proficient players can speed it up and really demonstrate their skill.
In 2021, Salt Lake City ranked as one of the top five large cities in America that were best for pickleball. The survey took into consideration the number of pickleball courts, the opportunity to take lessons, as well as the city’s average temperature.
The sport has been around since 1965, when a dad in Washington State was looking for new ways for his family to stay fit and entertained.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah is the 10th most active state in the country, according to study
- How to care for Canterbury Bells | KSL Greenhouse
- Navajo leaders quarantine as Native nation prepares for curfew
- Fed begins inflation fight with key rate hike, more to come
- VIP Special Needs Sports League
- Utah homeschooling is on the rise. What does that say about education in Utah?
- S.L. County D.A. joins national call for (better) justice for all
- Uncle of missing five-year-old in Logan charged with murder, remains found
- Salt Lake ranks fourth nationally for pickleball but what is it?
- Forecasters say they could run out of hurricane names