A warning from a grieving South Carolina father this morning of the dangers of caffeine.
Officials have linked the substance to the death of his teenage son.
16-year-old Davis Cripe collapsed in his high school last month and died in an emergency room. Further testing revealed it to be a caffeine-induced cardiac event.
The county coroner says the teen drank a large Mountain Dew, a café latte and an energy drink in the two hours before his death.
“We lost Davis from a totally legal substance, that any one of you can walk out of here today and stop at any store and get any one of those things,” said Gary Watts, the Richland County, South Carolina Coroner.
His father joined Watts at the news conference and urged other parents and teens to make better choices. They say Davis never did drugs or alcohol, but did not think using that much caffeine could also be dangerous.
Today’s Top Stories
- All six female Utah state senators walk out to protest invasive abortion ultrasound
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints asks people to drop “Mormon,”…
- Utah hospital ICUs expected to be at max capacity for the next few months
- ‘Perfume cloud’ helps German police sniff out drunk driver
- Utah earthquake preparation and “The Big One”
- Purge The Spurge: Utah County Offers To Exchange Invasive Poisonous Plant For Native Plant…
- Police: Body found in pipe near Target in Salt Lake
- Utah metal ‘monolith’ that garnered national attention reported missing
- Transcript of Lori Daybell’s call to Chad Daybell on day of children’s discovery
- Pandemic accelerates Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints missionaries’…