As Congressman Steve Scalise remains in critical condition this morning, questions swirling – should all lawmakers have a security detail?
Utah Congressman Jason Chaffetz says threats against him were part of the decision to resign. And he got calls right after the shooting blaming him because of his position on gun rights. He often hires security at public events.
Utah Senator Orrin Hatch has a full-time security detail because of his high position. He thanked them by name on the floor of the Senate on Wednesday.
Hatch was actually deputized in 1993 so he could carry a gun after receiving death threats.
Utah Representative Mia Love says people have posted her address online and saw someone taking pictures of her children and her home recently.
Many say they feel safer at the Capitol than they do other places.
Today’s Top Stories
- New wildlife bridge comes with cameras, warnings
- Volunteers for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints detained in Russia
- Susan Powell can’t be in Nutty Putty Cave, investigators say
- Utah earthquake preparation and “The Big One”
- Man in his 30s dead after drowning in a hot tub
- Forest Service letting the East Fork Fire burn
- Heart of Utah: Two Navy doctors from Utah describe pandemic service
- Kamala Harris arrives in Utah and tours This Is the Place Heritage Park
- Coyote sighting reported at the University of Utah campus
- Salt Lake City School District welcoming more grades for in-person instruction