CACHE COUNTY – A case of sexting between an 18 year- old Logan man and his underage girlfriend leads to him being sentenced to jail time.
Prosecutors say Jacob Wilson was sentenced to 101 days in jail for criminal mischief and dealing in harmful materials to a minor. Cache County Chief Prosecutor Spencer Walsh says the criminal mischief charge stemmed from Wilson shooting out roughly 20 windows with a friend. The harmful materials charge stemmed from the images that were found on his computer. Walsh says there were more than just a few. “There were 30 pictures that were found on the laptop and there were several videos,” he says.
What’s even more concerning to Walsh was the fact that the images were on Wilson’s school issued laptop. Walsh says, “Given the device [the images were] on, it had the potential to be viewed by other classmates.”
Prosecutors say they don’t have any indication the sexual images were shared or seen by any other students. Former sex crimes prosecutor Greg Skordas say if the pictures had been shared, Wilson would be in a lot more trouble. Skordas says, “Possession is a crime, but, distribution is a much more serious crime. Had he sent these images to his friends or had he posted them on the internet, for example, it would have been a much more serious crime.”
Wilson was given credit for the 81 days in jail he had already served.
Today’s Top Stories
- Travels with President Nelson: Touching the hearts of Church members around the world
- Dave & Dujanovic: Was police use of force in Minneapolis akin to murder?
- Courage Reins
- These 9 hand sanitizers may contain a potentially fatal ingredient, FDA warns
- Parents of Susan Powell endure day of graphic court testimony
- What are you Eating for the Big Game? 5 Quick and Easy Recipes for Sunday Game Food that…
- Plan to retrieve Titanic radio spurs debate on human remains
- Looking within: self-discovery amid pandemic
- Grandfather of suspect in the death of little girl says he is a troubled family member
- House approves bill to rename Dixie State University