SALT LAKE CITY — A sister missionary from Utah has died after suffering a fall during a hike in Switzerland where she was serving a full-time mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Sister Annabelle Nielsen, 20, from Highland, died on Tuesday while on a hike. Church spokesman Daniel Woodruff said Nielsen was hiking with five other missionaries from the Alpine German-Speaking Mission when she slipped and fell down a steep incline.
“We express our sincere condolences to her family and loved ones. We pray they will feel the peace and comfort of our loving Heavenly Father as they deal with this tragedy and honor her life,” Woodruff said in a statement released late Tuesday.
“We also pray for the other missionaries who were with Sister Nielsen at the time of the accident and are working to provide them with the necessary support as they process what happened.”
Speaking to the Deseret News as the family’s spokesman, President Rodger Lyman, First Counselor in the Highland Utah Central Stake, said the family found out about the accident involving the missionary in Switzerland on Tuesday afternoon.
“Annabelle was a sweet, sweet young girl, just a wonderful young woman,” Lyman said. “We’ve known her almost her whole life. Just fun, fun to be around, very kind and loving, very active.
“The family is struggling, as anyone would, but keeping the faith.”
Today’s Top Stories
- President Trump says he wants background check laws, also reassures NRA
- Millcreek and Salt Lake cities find agreement on new boundaries
- LSU QB Joe Burrow wins Heisman Trophy in landslide vote
- Earthquake damage shuts down Magna fire station
- Ogden man arrested for attempted murder, kidnapping
- As bitcoin surges, prominent cryptocurrency exchange Coinbase aims to go public
- Casey Scott, 200 days sober, opens up about the problems that led to his horrifying crash
- Bill that would ban on sharing intimate photo evidence passes Legislature
- Layton Utah Temple site announced
- Sri Lanka bombing suspects may still be on the run, police warn