I would like to recommend Mrs. Denise Nederhand at Mt. Jordan Middle School in the Canyons School District to be featured on KSL’s Teacher Feature.
Mrs. Nederhand has taught Resource Math at Mt. Jordan Middle School for the last two years. After a year of getting to know the school and the students, she has been able to have the students “Stand and Deliver”. She may not be teaching High School Students to do Calculus, but she is getting students who come into her class on an average of 3rd-4th grade elementary school ability, doing Algebra and Geometry.
Every student enjoys “Pie Day” , which is PI Day… March 14th, or 3.14. On that day all kinds of pies are brought to all the classes as they eat pie and study “pi”. Yumm…
Students come in struggling with subtraction, division, and terrified of fractions and “X” (variables). Then before they know it, they are subtracting and dividing exponents, solving equations with multiple variables, and working with polynomials.
The students are always writing on the whiteboards, “Math Rocks”, and “Math is the Best”. Many of these students end up getting their best grade in the most unlikely class… Math.
Besides Math, you will find Geography textbooks, History Textbooks, and Textbooks from other classes in Mrs. Nederhand’s room, as student know Mrs. Nederhand’s room is a place where they can get help for any of their classes.
I have helped grade papers throughout the year, and the math and work these kids are doing this year compared to last year is phenomenal. Some students end up leaving Mrs. Nederhand’s class and go into the regular math classes.
I truly believe that Mrs. Nederhand is a great candidate for KSL’s, “Teacher Feature”. I have seen, and I do believe.
Thank you for taking the time to consider Mrs. Nederhand.
Today’s Top Stories
- 47-year-old mother of four graduates top of her class at UVU College of Science
- 2 Utah families bonded after organ donation saved man’s life
- How does lake effect snow work? A primer
- Benjamin Keough, grandson of Elvis Presley, dies at 27
- Valentine’s is Long Since Over: Here are 5 Year Round Ways You Can Continue to Share…
- BYU rallies to beat Tennessee 29-26 in OT
- Bad breath behind that mask? 10 reasons and remedies for your halitosis
- Fake news: what it is, and how it can influence politics
- Church leaders break ground for the Auckland New Zealand Temple
- NWSL players now have the option to remain in the locker room during the National Anthem