Please help our family honor an exceptional teacher, Mrs. Julie Arnold, who saved our son and brother’s life, literally.
Jarom Mercer, a student at Valley View Elementary, rushed out of the lunch room and didn’t take the time to finish chewing his lunch. After having trouble swallowing the food, he went in the restroom to try and cough it out. He soon realized that he was in trouble, as his airway became completely blocked. He left the bathroom at the same time Mrs. Arnold walked out of her 5th grade classroom into the hallway. Jarom signaled that he was choking and Mrs. Arnold immediately took action. Her first attempt at the Heimlich was unsuccessful, so she alerted others to call 911. She performed it a second time and a portion of the blockage came free. A third attempt freed his airway and he was able to breathe again.
As a family we feel it is impossible to thank Julie Arnold enough for being prepared and persistent as she performed this lifesaving act. Our hope is that Teacher Feature can help us show her what she means to our family and our community. Our hearts are filled with love and appreciation for her and we ask that you help us to recognize and honor her.
The Mercer Family
Today’s Top Stories
- Backcountry avalanche alert in effect as crews mitigate risk
- Utah offers to pay public employees to fill their prescriptions in Mexico
- Now’s your chance to pick up US postage stamps honoring military dogs
- Gov. Cox: Misinformation about COVID vaccines is dangerous
- Utah COVID-19 cases, hospitalizations increase over weekend
- Jazz fan gets “coolest injury ever” after Donovan Mitchell flies into third row
- If you build it … White Sox and Yankees to play at ‘Field of Dreams’ movie…
- Cougar leaves mark on Herriman driveway
- AMBER Alert system on pause after empty message in middle of night
- US Capitol on lockdown as protesters storm the building