Lt Craig Martinez says two Orem police officers will be working overtime from 10 PM to 2 AM on Saturday and Sunday, just assigned to take people home if they have had too much to drink.
“As much as we love arresting drunks or impaired drivers, we would rather just prevent people from doing it,” said Martinez.
They are using a prisoner transport van with a special decal on the side. People can reach out through dispatch or a special twitter hashtag that the department will be monitoring. They’ll release more information closer to the weekend.
It has to be to or from Orem within a 15 mile radius. And Martinez says you’ll have to take a selfie with the officers.
“We are going to take pictures because we want to interact with the public, and we want to show the good things our officers are doing. We want to make it a fun night for everybody.”
Today’s Top Stories
- Police searching for suspect after fatal shooting of Sandy teen
- After 25 years, ‘The Far Side’ is back — with an online debut and new comics
- What Are You Getting Your Neighbors and Friends for the Holidays? Mason Jar Gifts Might Just…
- Mary Poppins meets James Bond: Will Meghan and Harry hire a Norland nanny for the royal baby?
- What is coronavirus and Covid-19? An explainer
- These smart shopping carts will let you skip the grocery store line
- Amazon to add 1,500 full/part time jobs in Utah
- Ellen Sabo – Rose Creek Elementary
- Southern Utah monuments in danger of disappearing?
- Shift in policy will allow ATVs and UTVs in National Parks