The Hollywood trade Deadline reported Tuesday that there was a disagreement over the profit-sharing structure.
According to a person close to the deal who was unauthorized to speak publicly, negotiations are not yet final. But the suggestion that Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige may not produce future live-action “Spider-Man” movies and that the character itself might not appear in any more Marvel Cinematic Universe films quickly turned into a trending topic.
Sony has held the rights to the Marvel character since 1985, but in 2015, announced a partnership with Disney and Marvel that would allow Spider-Man to be used in MCU films like “Avengers: Endgame.” It also allowed for Feige to serve as a producer on stand-alone “Spider-Man” movies like “Far From Home.”
The crossovers have been well-received by audiences and critics. And the teenage web-slinger has been made into a central component in the MCU with a close relationship to Tony Stark that drove the storylines in both “Endgame” and “Far From Home.” But as Marvel enters its “Phase 4,” Spider-Man also has no official MCU appearances planned.
Two standalone “Spider-Man” movies are, however, reportedly in the works from Sony which would bring back director Jon Watts and star Tom Holland. Sony has also created its own web of Spider-Man spinoffs, including the Oscar-winning animated feature “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse,” and “Venom.”
Representatives from the two studios did not respond to requests for comment.
Today’s Top Stories
- Disney World’s July 11 reopening: 6 things to watch
- Iran state TV: Tehran fires at Iraqi base housing US troops
- Changes to the HOV lanes for hybrid vehicles in Utah, starting today
- Mall giant Simon says nearly all of its shopping centers have reopened
- Man dies while swimming in cold waters at Utah reservoir
- Provo PD seeing many cars with illegal black license plates
- Fake high school sports sponsorship scam targeting Utah businesses
- Southern Utah University and Utah State University are the latest to join colleges reopening…
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Utah
- Elizabeth Smart reveals details of assault, and what she’s doing about it