SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — The Utah race for governor is filling out, with another Republican candidate choosing a running mate. Salt Lake County Council member Aimee Winder Newton announced Tuesday that her lieutenant governor pick is State Auditor John Dougall.
When a gubernatorial runs for office, who they choose as their running mate is essentially campaigning for the position of lieutenant governor.
Newton said Dougall’s knowledge of tax policy and history of pushing for trims to government programs will be valuable assets. He has served as state auditor since 2013 and a state lawmaker for a decade before that.
She is one of several candidates vying for the GOP nomination, and the third candidate to name a running mate. Former U.S.-Russia ambassador Jon Huntsman Jr. and ex-GOP chair Thomas Wright have also named running mates.
Huntsman named Provo Mayor Michelle Kaufusi as his running mate in early February, whom he said would bring an “important local perspective.” Kaufusi is the first woman mayor of Provo after being elected in 2017, running on a platform of pushing for strong neighborhood, vibrant economic development and responsible fiscal management.
After that, current Lt. Gov. Spencer Cox announced his running mate Thursday: Utah Sen. Diedre Henderson. In a video announcing the campaign ticket, Henderson said her experience in government would allow her to bring people together.
Henderson has served in the state legislature for eight years, and Cox said he chose her because of her willingness to do what is right regardless of consequences.
Today’s Top Stories
- Gas station clerk tells her Susan Powell story for the first time publicly
- Bicyclists honor friend lost in deadly Millcreek Canyon avalanche
- LSU QB Joe Burrow wins Heisman Trophy in landslide vote
- Hiker finds body in Hells Canyon
- 4 Fun Family Activities You Can Do at a County Fair
- As bitcoin surges, prominent cryptocurrency exchange Coinbase aims to go public
- President Trump says he wants background check laws, also reassures NRA
- Ogden man arrested for attempted murder, kidnapping
- Earthquake damage shuts down Magna fire station
- Millcreek and Salt Lake cities find agreement on new boundaries