SALT LAKE CITY — Leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints issued a congratulatory statement to President-elect Joe Biden on Monday.
“We congratulate President-elect Joe Biden on his election as President of the United States. We also congratulate Vice President-elect Kamala Harris,” they said in the statement.
“We invite people everywhere, whatever their political views, to join us in praying for this new administration and for leaders of nations around the world.”
The statement from Church leadership comes after the official count by the U.S. Electoral College on Monday, giving President-elect Biden more than the 270-electoral-votes needed to affirm his presidential victory.
“We thank President Donald Trump and Vice President Michael Pence,” the leaders continued, “for their public service and wish them and their families well in their future endeavors.”
They concluded their statement by saying, “May our local, national, and world leaders be blessed with wisdom and judgment as they fulfill the great trust afforded to them by the people of the world.”
Today’s Top Stories
- Winter solstice 2019: A short day that’s long on ancient traditions
- Lay Kou- Southland Elementary
- Coronavirus prevention sparks major changes in Provo MTC
- UDOT going forward with West Davis Corridor
- Is it time to scrap straight-ticket voting in Utah?
- Inside Sources: How criminals, addicts and homeless transform their lives free of charge
- Mat and Savanna Shaw, a viral daddy-daughter singing duo sharing hope through music
- Candidate Conversation: Jenny Wilson for Senate
- Call before you dig: Stay safe during your home projects
- Expect hazy skies and moderately unhealthy air for a few days