SALT LAKE CITY — There are many new gardeners as a result of the pandemic. Many have posed interest in growing their own food and utilizing it as a hobby for mental health benefits.
The KSL Greenhouse show shared beginner gardening tips and some of the best practices for starting a garden.
Buy seeds early
Taun Beddes explained that seed sales are up about 300% in the wake of the pandemic. The first thing you need to think of when starting a garden is what you want to plant. It is recommended to make that decision and look for seeds now so they don’t sell out.
The basics of starting seeds
Find a bright location that sits around 70 degrees.
Purchase potting soil.
Easy vegetables for beginners
These will germinate within 7-14 days and you will only need about 2 – 3 weeks before you can put this into your garden, according to Taun Beddes.
Peppers and tomatoes take about 6 weeks to germinate before you can move them outside.
Beddes recommended to pre-wet the soil, place seeds on top of soil and press down very gently, cover with a small layer of soil and wet with a spray bottle
Seed kits are available online that include plastic covers. It is recommended to keep them covered and wet during the germination process.
“Water these very carefully so you don’t blow the seeds out,” Beddes explained.
“That soil needs to be wet when the seeds haven’t been germinated, but when the seeds germinate back off on the water.” Taun Beddes explained.
After germination watering once a day may be too much as you need to let them dry out, Beddes explains it is best to monitor it day by day by check the soil for dryness.
If you do not have a window or a greenhouse area, you will need fluorescent lights to help your seeds grow. These can be found at affordable prices online.
Keep the lights within 6 inches of the foliage and the location the seeds will be in needs to sit around 70 degrees.
Easy to plant flowers
- Mexican Sunflower (Tithonia)
Watch more about starting seeds in this video:
Listen to the full segment about beginner gardening tips on the KSL Greenhouse Show podcast!
Today’s Top Stories
- Special delivery: Over 500,000 protective face masks transported to Salt Lake International Airport
- Silver Island: a desert escape well worth a visit
- Santa, reindeer granted permit to enter US on Christmas Eve
- Utah drivers licenses one step closer to going digital
- 4 tips for getting a COVID-19 vaccine appointment booked sooner in Utah
- Pandemic pause ends in Susan Powell parents lawsuit trial
- What to do if you encounter a dangerous animal in the wild
- Police make sixth arrest in the kidnapping and murder of Kearns woman
- What it was like hunting memes outside Area 51
- Illegal credit card skimming: Three habits I changed at the gas pump