SALT LAKE CITY — University of Utah Football coach Kyle Whittingham has won the 2019 Bobby Dodd Coach of the Year award.
The award is presented to a coach every year that they say embodies the award’s three pillars of scholarship, leadership and integrity as well as seeing success on the playing field while also stressing the importance of academic excellence and character.
The award was first given in 1976 and was named after Coach Bobby Dodd who headed up the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets for 22 years.
“I would like to thank The Dodd Trophy and the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl for this distinguished award,” Whittingham said. “Being named The Dodd Trophy Coach of the Year is a tremendous honor, and is only possible because of the hard work and tremendous effort of the entire University of Utah football team and staff. Our program strives to embody the three principles defined by Coach Dodd: Scholarship, leadership and integrity. These principles attest to doing things the right way.”
Whittingham has been at the helm of the Utah Football program for 15 seasons making him the longest-tenured coach in the Pac-12 Conference. This year he also led the Utes to an 11-2 season bringing with it the third-highest record in school history as well as a personal best for Whittingham.
The award is given in conjunction with the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl and Peach Bowl CEO Gary Stokan says it’s been a fun season to watch Utah.
“It has been a privilege to watch Coach Whittingham lead his team this year,” he says.
“I wish Coach Dodd himself could be here to see how coaches like Coach Whittingham have carried on his legacy. Through Coach Whittingham’s continued emphasis on scholarship, leadership and integrity, he has helped countless student-athletes grow on and off the field every single year. He is the perfect choice for the 2019 Dodd Trophy.”
Today’s Top Stories
- State parks hope to have new ‘glamping’ campsites available for busy Memorial Day weekend
- Second Amendment rally at state capitol to push back against new gun laws
- UDOT: Southbound I-15 experiencing major delays due to crash
- “Blue Rally” gathers in downtown SLC to support law enforcement
- Wuhan (finally) bans wild animals at wet markets
- Backcountry avalanche alert in effect as crews mitigate risk
- BIG MOVIE OF THE WEEK: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse review
- AMBER Alert system on pause after empty message in middle of night
- A wrap-up of Utah election results — and the races we can’t call yet
- Settlement deal nearing completion for parents of Lauren McCluskey