Long lines for the COVID-19 vaccination generated a lot of complaints over the weekend in Salt Lake County.
People, many who were over age 70, said they waited in long lines Saturday up to three hours to go through the COVID-19 vaccination process at the Mountain America Expo Center in Sandy. The Salt Lake County Health Department set up the Expo Center as a vaccination site.
Spokesman Nicholas Rupp said there was a good reason for the delay. Because there were 1,ooo extra vaccine doses, people on the waitlist were called in.
“We knew that would increase wait times that day, one time,” said Rupp, “But we decided it was worth it to vaccinate that many more people and to ensure that vaccine didn’t go to waste.”
Still, Rupp said the Health Department has reconfigured its layout, on the off chance it obtains extra doses again.
Rupp, though, said there were chairs on hand for people in line. He said there were wheelchairs and golf carts for those who needed them. And, there were even proxies to stand in line for those who had to leave to use the restroom.
The health department’s website says as of today, it has set up appointments through the end of the month.
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronavirus spreads person to person, similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Wear a mask to protect yourself and others per CDC recommendations.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune systems away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet).
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities).
- Obtain a flu shot.
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707
I have an idea for a future in-depth report. How do I tell you about it?
Today’s Top Stories
- Mary Poppins meets James Bond: Will Meghan and Harry hire a Norland nanny for the royal baby?
- Utah man critically injured in bike crash at Canyonlands National Park
- Fact Check: Is Obama the only president to criticize a successor?
- Drugs and other crimes still a big problem in county jails
- Utah Jazz plane bird strike was especially bad according to officials
- ‘He changed my life’: Afghan pilot remembers Major Brent Taylor
- Salt Lake City high schools may start later in 2021
- BYU Study: Drinking High-Fat Milk Connected With Biological Aging
- Tara Francyk-Wells – West Jordan Elementary
- Biden adds Michigan to win total, delivering blow to Sanders