MIDVALE — Unified Police say a suspect shot by police and accused of trying to stab an officer outside of a fast food restaurant is out of the hospital.
Police are not yet sure what 26-year-old Steve Hawkins was doing outside the closed Midvale McDonald’s at 425 W. 7200 S. around 1:30 a.m., but say he stabbed an officer with a screwdriver who had stopped to see what was going on.
“The officer’s ballistic vest was able to protect him from receiving any injuries with that,” says Unified Police Sgt. Melody Gray.
The officer then fired on Hawkins, hitting him in the abdomen. Hawkins received treatment in a nearby hospital and was released shortly afterward.
Hawkins is now booked into the Salt Lake County Jail and faces multiple severe charges.
“Public intoxication, interfering with an arrest, use of a dangerous weapon, and aggravated assault on a police officer,” says Sgt. Gray.
The officer is not yet being identified, but following standard procedure, is on paid administrative leave while an outside agency investigates.
Today’s Top Stories
- UVU students win records fight over campus police reports
- Mary Poppins meets James Bond: Will Meghan and Harry hire a Norland nanny for the royal baby?
- Drugs and other crimes still a big problem in county jails
- BYU Study: Drinking High-Fat Milk Connected With Biological Aging
- Tara Francyk-Wells – West Jordan Elementary
- Utah man critically injured in bike crash at Canyonlands National Park
- ‘He changed my life’: Afghan pilot remembers Major Brent Taylor
- Only-child doesn’t need to be lonely child during the pandemic
- Child poverty in Utah is down from last year
- Former Bonneville International President passes away