SOUTH JORDAN — A 5-year-old is dead after a three-car accident at 3700 West South Jordan Parkway Monday afternoon.
The accident happened at the start of rush hour, around 4 this afternoon. It affected roads around that area for hours, blocking the eastbound lanes on South Jordan Parkway between 4000 W. and Bangerter Highway since it happened.
South Jordan Police Lieutenant Matt Pennington says the car the child was riding in failed to stop, causing a rear-ending the car in front and causing a chain reaction of fender benders.
“The two vehicles that were hit — there are minor injuries to the people involved with that, nothing substantial,” says Lt. Pennington.
That 5-year-old was riding in the front seat of the car, along with two other children and an adult male, who was driving.
Lt. Pennington says they are not sure if the child was wearing a seat belt or not at this time, but that he was not in any sort of child restraint. He was transported to the hospital in critical condition.
“Unfortunately, the airbag deployment caused substantial injuries to that child,” says Lt. Pennington.
Police were told just after 5 p.m. that the child had died at Riverton Hospital.
The boy’s name has not yet been released pending family notification and further investigation.
This story is developing and will continue to be updated.
Today’s Top Stories
- These 9 hand sanitizers may contain a potentially fatal ingredient, FDA warns
- Courage Reins
- Plan to retrieve Titanic radio spurs debate on human remains
- What are you Eating for the Big Game? 5 Quick and Easy Recipes for Sunday Game Food that…
- Write-in candidate requests a list mailed to voters, naming write-in candidates
- Salt Lake shoppers looking for deals on Black Friday
- African Gray parrot still missing – Bluffdale owners offer reward
- Some Utah Jazz players’ heights shrunk a bit
- A Las Vegas rescue group has captured ‘Cluck Norris’ and is searching for the…
- How bad does it hurt to be stung by a giant murder hornet?