Yellowstone National Park is getting a new safety poster thanks to a viral video courtesy of a Montana reporter.
Yellowstone and the viral reporter tweet
KTVM’s Deion Broxton had barely hit record on his camera for his shot outside of Yellowstone National Park when he glanced off-camera and noticed the herd of approaching bison that he wanted nothing to do with.
“There was a herd of bison walking right toward me at @YellowstoneNPS today!” he tweeted.
— Deion Broxton KTVM (@DeionNBCMT) March 25, 2020
As soon as he noticed, he quickly picked up the still recording camera and started packing up to get out of the way.
“Oh no, I’m not messing with you,” he could be heard repeating.
The whole thing was posted on Broxton’s Twitter account and has been seen nearly 11 million times.
Here’s the video of the bison I shot once I got a safe distance away lol pic.twitter.com/uL3XiR2ISR
— Deion Broxton KTVM (@DeionNBCMT) March 26, 2020
Funny, but also good advice
Yellowstone quickly chimed in, saying that Broxton’s actions were exactly what anyone should do in the situation: keep a safe distance.
The Yellowstone National Park Service staff has now turned the phrase into its newest wildlife safety poster reminding visitors not to mess with the wildlife.
You saw the tweet, and thanks to our coworkers @NatlParkService we now have a commemorative wildlife safety poster. Thanks again to @DeionNBCMT for the much needed laugh! #YellowstonePledge https://t.co/jOMEWH4EaJ https://t.co/fEVa5yteQP pic.twitter.com/av19pCRZ4q
— YellowstoneNPS (@YellowstoneNPS) March 30, 2020
The National Park Service recommends that all visitors maintain a minimum distance of 25 yards from most wildlife and at least 100 yards from predators like bears and wolves.
The Park Service also emphasizes that it is illegal to intentionally disturb or feed any wildlife.
Yellowstone National Park has been closed since March 25th due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Today’s Top Stories
- Thomas Saunders – Rocky Mountain Junior High
- The most generous state in America is Utah – again
- A new conversation: Dave & Dujanovic starts June 4
- Changing water flow leads to more bugs in Grand Canyon
- ‘Golden Boy’-turned-addict finds newfound life after prison
- Body of Arizona man recovered from Lake Powell marina
- United Way of Salt Lake City
- Utah County Commissioner injured in National Guard training
- The Fed just unleashed another $2.3 trillion to support the economy
- No, the Wasatch Front didn’t just have another earthquake. Here’s what we know.