(This story was updated to include the arrest and naming of the suspect.)
HOLLADAY, UT — A suspect in a weekend stabbing that sent a 58-year-old man to the hospital in critical condition, has been arrested.
The Salt Lake County Sheriff’s office says that United Fire Authority firefighters saw a man matching the suspect’s description on Sunday night near 2300 East and 4400 South. They contacted police who were dispatched to the area. Once they made contact they confirmed he was a suspect in the stabbing.
Unified Police say the suspect, Daimen Mikel, age 25, was injured and required hospitalization on Sunday night. On Monday he was released from the hospital and booked into the Salt Lake County jail. Mikel is being investigated for aggravated assault and aggravated burglary.
Police say the victim was stabbed multiple times in his Holladay home on Saturday around 9 p.m.
Unified Police Detective Kevin Mallory said the 58-year-old man lives at 4635 S. Locust Lane in Holladay.
The victim told police he’d met the suspect “downtown somewhere,” and that the suspect came to the victim’s home to “help with stuff around the house.”
The stabbing was preceded by yelling and arguing, Mallory said. The suspect reportedly stabbed the victim multiple times in his chest, neck, and face.
The suspect fled the scene and despite UPD officers’ use of K9 resources and containment of the area, he was not immediately located.
Today’s Top Stories
- Gov. Cox: Misinformation about COVID vaccines is dangerous
- AMBER Alert system on pause after empty message in middle of night
- Now’s your chance to pick up US postage stamps honoring military dogs
- 100-year-old Captain Tom knighted by Queen in personal ceremony
- Romance scam uses military photos to fool widow
- Much loved St. George runner dies after 10-year fight with cancer
- Marc Allen- Woods Cross High School
- Write-in candidate requests a list mailed to voters, naming write-in candidates
- What else is happening in the news besides COVID-19?
- Provo man accused of firing AR-15 in a crowded apartment complex