TOOELE, Utah — Tooele High School will transition to a fully-online class schedule for the next two weeks, reporting 15 active COVID-19 cases among students. Remote learning will begin Friday, with students expected to return Oct. 26.
The two-week online schedule will take place over fall break, so students will only miss six in-person days. Students will remain on their normal schedules throughout the virtual period.
“We will be taking that time to do additional deep cleaning in the school,” said Marie Denson, public information officer for the school district. “It will also allow those students to recover and allow for that proper quarantine time.”
Denson said school officials met at noon Thursday to begin discussing how the administration would move forward if they reached the COVID-19 threshold.
At the beginning of the meeting, the school had 13 reported cases. By the time it was finished, they reached 15.
“I think it’s important to note, though, that there are other items happening,” Denson said. “We have students who take college courses, who are in extracurricular activities, who need to pick up school meals.”
The remote-learning schedule will begin immediately, as the high school already conducts Friday as an all-online half day. Meal pick-ups will be still be available for students throughout the virtual period.
“Fridays are normally a digital learning day for us anyway, so students just will continue forward with their normal Friday,” Denson said. “Then Monday they’ll do a full day of digital learning at home. We’re trying to keep it as normal as possible.”
All extracurricular activities, including performing arts and athletics, will continue as planned. Students in those activities will receive four tickets for family members to attend events.
Teams or groups with high numbers of COVID cases will be required to quarantine until Oct. 26.
Today’s Top Stories
- Advice from a registered sex offender: teach your kids
- Utah man critically injured in bike crash at Canyonlands National Park
- Best garden gifts for Mother’s Day | KSL Greenhouse
- Teen in critical condition after Taylorsville Shooting
- Boris Johnson promises UK will provide Hong Kongers path to citizenship after national…
- Copper Hills student arrested for Snapchat threat
- Mr. Daryl Hunt – Horizonte Instruction & Training Ctr.
- China pushes conspiracy theories on COVID origin, vaccines
- Cops looking for woman after she allegedly uses a taser on 9-year-old boy
- Utah man gets up to life in prison in ex-girlfriend’s death