MIDWAY, Utah — A Utah woman has died after being hit by a vehicle on Main Street in Midway Saturday night, according to officials. The driver, identified by police as Colby Gertsch, is in police custody.
Gertsch, 39, called the Wasatch County Sheriff’s Office around 10:30 p.m. Saturday, reporting he had hit a pedestrian with his car. He told dispatchers she was seriously injured and not breathing.
The man stayed with the woman until officers arrived on scene.
Upon arrival, Emergency Medical Services began life-saving efforts before transporting the woman to Herber Valley Hospital. She died later that night in the hospital.
The identity of the woman has not yet been released, as officers are working to notify next of kin.
Wasatch Police arrested Gertsch and booked him into the county jail. He was charged with automobile homicide, possession of a controlled substance, possession of drug paraphernalia, and operating a motor vehicle negligently causing death, according to a statement from the sheriff’s office.
An investigation is still ongoing.
Today’s Top Stories
- Susan Powell can’t be in Nutty Putty Cave, investigators say
- The mystery of the Utah monolith found in the desert
- Gunman who killed U. student tried to kidnap witness, police say
- What Are You Getting Your Neighbors and Friends for the Holidays? Mason Jar Gifts Might Just…
- 3 sexual assaults in 1 night reported at Utah State University
- UPDATE: South Salt Lake DMV Office reopens after confirmed COVID case
- Taco Tuesday coincides with Cinco de Mayo
- Second Amendment rally at state capitol to push back against new gun laws
- Wasatch Adaptive Sports
- Fire-ravaged forests get help from pine cone collectors