MIDWAY, Utah — A Utah woman has died after being hit by a vehicle on Main Street in Midway Saturday night, according to officials. The driver, identified by police as Colby Gertsch, is in police custody.
Gertsch, 39, called the Wasatch County Sheriff’s Office around 10:30 p.m. Saturday, reporting he had hit a pedestrian with his car. He told dispatchers she was seriously injured and not breathing.
The man stayed with the woman until officers arrived on scene.
Upon arrival, Emergency Medical Services began life-saving efforts before transporting the woman to Herber Valley Hospital. She died later that night in the hospital.
The identity of the woman has not yet been released, as officers are working to notify next of kin.
Wasatch Police arrested Gertsch and booked him into the county jail. He was charged with automobile homicide, possession of a controlled substance, possession of drug paraphernalia, and operating a motor vehicle negligently causing death, according to a statement from the sheriff’s office.
An investigation is still ongoing.
Today’s Top Stories
- Distracted driving fight hits a big roadblock: we won’t give up our phones
- Prehistoric Lake Bonneville trail progresses in Utah
- Pope arrives in Iraq to rally Christians despite pandemic
- Sunshine, heat and cars are the recipe for ozone pollution
- Lee Lonsberry steps up to the mic at KSL
- Utah reports suicide attempts down during pandemic
- Insurance provided by NRA not sitting well with gun control advocates
- Live Mic: Gun advocate’s plan for personalized license plate is shot down
- Before you book your family trip: Here’s what you need to know about Bear Lake rentals…
- New Utah fire starts near Willow Creek Canyon