All of them, with their own unique name: The Bullfrog Fire. The Creek Fire. The Fork Fire. The Wolf Fire.
But why name them? And how are they named?
The answer to both questions, fire officials say, is almost always tied to the fire’s location.
“All fires get a name,” Daniel Berlant, with Cal Fire, said in a video message earlier this year.
“That allows the firefighters that are responding to them to quickly understand where they’re going.”
Confused about fire names? Watch the video to learn how fire names are determined.
— CAL FIRE (@CAL_FIRE) August 23, 2020
Dipatchers often choose fire names based on geographic markers — it could be the fire’s location, or a nearby street name, park or lake, Berlant said.
“It’s up to the dispatcher who is dispatching the fire to assign it a name right at the point of dispatch,” he said.
Here’s where it gets complicated
Not every name is a simple one. In August, several of California’s largest wildfires in history burned through the state. Among them were the SCU Lightning Complex and LNU Lightning Complex.
Where do those names come from?
“In the summer months, when we see lightning, we often will see a large number of fires all occur in the same geographic area,” Berlant said. “Operationally, it’s more efficient for us to manage these fires under one command.”
The fires that are close to each other are managed under one “complex.” And each complex gets its name from the Cal Fire unit that it’s managed by.
“SCU is for Santa Clara Unit,” Berlant said. “So the SCU Lightning Complex is in the Santa Clara unit.”
™ & © 2020 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
Today’s Top Stories
- Officer Dallas Smith & Officer Cory Lewis, Spanish Fork Police Department
- Friends and climbers mourn a Utah man who died on Mt. Everest
- Plan to retrieve Titanic radio spurs debate on human remains
- DNC chairman effectively kills plans for virtual caucuses
- This year’s Ute Stampede Rodeo in Nephi is a go
- My father is an addict — one child’s letter about addiction
- Bodies of man and his slave unearthed from ashes at Pompeii
- Bid to fortify Utah hate-crimes law passes first Senate vote
- US Speedskating coach Ryan Shimabukuro has heart attack
- Cedar City Utah is Your Next Weekend Vacation! 4 Awesome Outdoor Adventures You and Your…