(CNN) — Three people were killed and two were injured in a shooting at a gun store in Louisiana on Saturday.
Deputies were called to the scene at the Jefferson Gun Outlet in Metairie just before 3 p.m., Jefferson Parish Sheriff Joseph Lopinto III said during a press briefing.
Metairie is just a few miles northwest of New Orleans.
One initial shooter fatally shot two people inside the store, according to Lopinto. Both victims were pronounced dead at the scene.
Several people then engaged the original suspect inside and outside the store, leaving two more people injured with gunshot wounds, the sheriff said.
A press release from the sheriff’s office said the third person killed was the original shooter.
The two injured people were transported to University Hospital and are in stable condition, according to Lopinto.
It appears the people involved in the shooting may have been customers, employees or individuals at the location, he said.
The New Orleans office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives has special agents working the scene, the agency tweeted.
™ & © 2021 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
Today’s Top Stories
- New wildlife bridge comes with cameras, warnings
- Complaints over bad odor cause U.S. Steel to halt cleanup efforts, for now
- Fake high school sports sponsorship scam targeting Utah businesses
- Utah parents want vape tax
- One dead, two injured in overnight Salt Lake shooting
- Forest Service letting the East Fork Fire burn
- Sen. Mike Lee: Trump is not guilty
- Sen. Lee says Utah National Guard kicked out of DC hotel
- The story of Sgt. Cade Brenchley, hit by a car in line of duty
- Biden gets into testy exchange with man over gun rights