SALT LAKE CITY — The University of Utah plans to hold its convocations in-person this spring, according to a statement from the school.
University officials sent out a Tweet Monday announcing the decision, saying the availability of COVID-19 vaccines makes it possible.
With COVID-19 vaccinations rising, we will offer in-person college convocations this spring.
The general commencement ceremony will be pre-recorded & live-streamed on Thurs., May 6 at 6:30p. In-person convocations will be held May 6 & 7 🎓
— University of Utah (@UUtah) March 15, 2021
“The past two academic years have been transformed in significant ways, and our students have been patient, creative and resilient through all the changes need (sic) to ensure health and safety during this global health crisis,” said Lori McDonald, vice president for Student Affairs.
“We are going to mark this occasion in ways that recognize the dedication and commitment of our students, while also celebrating the amazing accomplishment of completing a college degree during extraordinary times.”
In-person college convocations planned
The school plans to pre-record and live-stream the general commencement ceremony on May 6, 2021, with in-person college convocations planned on both May 6 and May 7.
Convocations differ from the general commencement ceremony; typically, students attend the convocation for their individual school or college separately from the school’s larger university-wide commencement.
According to the U., school officials will use Rice-Eccles Stadium and the Red Butte Garden Amphitheatre for in-person college convocations. Family and friends who cannot attend may watch via live-stream.
In addition, the school plans to invite 2020 graduates, after holding last year’s commencement virtually.
I have an idea for a future in-depth report. How do I tell you about it?
Today’s Top Stories
- Sergeant Dusty Butler, Emery County Sheriff’s Office
- Romance scam uses military photos to fool widow
- Abe Yospe – Westland Elementary
- Jason Ruch, Saratoga Springs PD
- Chelsea Manning jailed for refusing to testify on Wikileaks
- Breanne Stump – Fox Hollow Elementary School
- Officer Preston Casey, Centerville
- Chad Hayman, Tremonton Police Department
- Helicopter pilot killed in Afghanistan to be laid to rest in Utah
- Former USU student sues piano professor for sexual assault